Thursday, April 8, 2010

Buddha?



Maybe not coincidentally, I spent this evening riding my bike on the trainer watching the conclusion of the first round of the Masters golf tournament -- Tiger Woods's return to the game of golf after the scandal that we all know so much about.

I was also in the midst of watching a documentary that I had begun the night before about the life of the Buddha.

In Tiger's first press conference following the scandal he mentioned that he had strayed from his Buddhist principles. At first I remember thinking, "I wonder what the PR people at Buddha International are thinking right now!"

Tiger's sins are tough to forgive. And many probably won't forgive him. "Cheetah" jokes aside -- the pain that he has caused his wife, his family, and his fans has been enormous.

But as I watched Tiger complete his round of golf, and then continued to watch the documentary about the Buddha, I understood the connection.

Maybe viewing these two things at once wasn't coincidence. It was a chance for me to forgive Tiger.

In the documentary, one of the poets that helps recount the life and teachings of the Buddha talks about looking for the Buddha in everyone. She describes walking down a busy street and looking at each passerby and asking, "Buddha? Buddha? Buddha?"

So as Tiger walked up the 18th fairway on a beautiful Thursday at one of my favorite places in the world, I looked at him and asked myself...."Buddha? Christ? Me?"

I believe the answers to be yes, yes and yes. My reaction to Tiger Woods is ultimately a reaction to myself -- at least, according to my beliefs.

An angry reaction to Tiger puts my mind in a state of hatred, aggression.

A forgiving reaction to Tiger puts my mind at peace and in a state of awareness.

His actions against his wife were harmful and wrong. But many of my actions are harmful and wrong as well.

Now, in Tiger's life, he has a chance to find peace and calm again. But his harmful actions will make this peace much more difficult to come by. That is his punishment I suppose. But it is not my punishment to dole out.

My reaction must be one of forgiveness. To look at Tiger and ask, "Buddha?"

So I may find the Buddha within him and separate the Buddha from that which is not Buddha.

So I may find the Buddha within myself and begin to eradicate the sin and suffering in my own life.

Aware and with equanimity I look at you, reader, and ask, "Buddha?"

Enjoy the ride,
Damm

No comments:

Post a Comment