Friday, April 6, 2012

Hotel Nirvana

Like a Buddhist monk arriving at Hotel Nirvana I feel like I've reached my place of enlightenment recently. However, unlike the Buddhist monk, I check into the Hotel and then I check out and then I check in and then I check out and so on and so forth.

Why is it that we know what is important in life but we so often move away from the important things?

---

I've always been a list maker. You may remember that I made a list of 30 thing to do before I turn 30. I made this list over a year ago and have accomplished only 3 of the goals. I have some work to do.

For the month of April, I made a list of things to give up - a friend is calling it "monk month."

My hope is that by giving up some of the less important items in my life I can focus on my larger goals like running longer distances, eating healthier, traveling more, spending more time with friends and less time with my TV.

Here's what I've decided to give up or cut back on for April:
  • No TV (except for The Masters and Game of Thrones on Sunday nights)
  • No Movies
  • No Soda of any kind
  • No fast food and no pizza
  • No Alcohol (with just a couple exceptions)
I know what is important and it's high time I move toward the 27 remaining goals that I have left to complete in only 21 months.

So here's what is on the horizon for me as I try to check back into Hotel Nirvana...

I've been taking Rosetta Stone in order to become fluent in Spanish (goal #1).

I'm following a marathon training program right now to get ready for Grandma's Marathon in Duluth in June and I've registered for the Twin Cities Marathon in October (goal #18).

In May I'm getting Lasik eye surgery done (goal #28).

At the end of April, I'm taking a trip to Spain with a buddy and the plan is to see a FC Barcelona soccer match (goal #16) and also eat at a world-class molecular gastronomy restaurant (goal #22).

There are many more goals to work toward but I'm in a good place right now. More focused. More determined.

It's a good Friday to remember that we have a lot to be thankful for and a lot to accomplish during our journey.

Enjoy the ride,
Damm

No comments:

Post a Comment